Thursday, May 10, 2007

Back on the Boards



What a big weekend!!! Mommy returned to the stage as the nurse in friend Tekki's show, Blurred Vision. This is such a fun show to do--it is really Tekki's monologue piece about her life in and out of hospitals and her search for answers to health care questions. Or you can just read a much better description at: www.tellintales.org
I think that's the site. I'll check it for my next post.

Anyway, Tekki is a comic genius and I get to play her crazy nurse in many incarnations: mean nurse, nice nurse, nurse chewing gum. I have no lines--I simply dance and prance and make faces and try to remember my blocking. Oh, and I lift Tekki and carry her around the stage a few times. Because I am a post-natal warrior princess. And Tekki is very light anyway.

I have done this show so many times--we take it to hospitals, conventions, anyplace that will have us. It is the most fun and I never tire of it. I last performed it in October when Charlie was about 6 weeks old. I pretty much stuffed the old bra with sweaters to keep the nursing whites dry.

Prior to that show we performed at Second City when I was 5 months preggers. Ironically, the costume never fit better than that time. It just stayed in place, held still by my belly.

This week we did it at the Acorn Theatre in 3 Oaks MI. What a beautiful little town with cute cafes and shops and galleries. It is all quiet escape from Chicago vibe and very cozy. We stayed in the theatre! David and Kim, the owners, operate the theatre and keep 3 or 4 very nice guest rooms for visiting friends and actors.

ROb and I thought about taking Charlie to the matinee but rethought that when he had one of those "I'm too tired to take a nap in that pack n play" cries. Instead, mommy went onstage while Daddy found the local historic artifacts park and the boys had a good stroll.

I look forward to that day when I'll be onstage and I'll hear that tiny voice in the front row---"Mommy! Mommy!" Ahh--some other day.

No comments: