Friday, February 2, 2007

Go Momala!


Momala (that's my mom and Charlie's grandma) officially retires today. They are having a party for her at the Schuyler Center and today is her last day of work. Momala, like lots of working moms out there (including myself) has held not one, but several jobs over the years, including stay at home mom. She has also enjoyed several careers in the theatre, education, non-profit and television worlds. I tagged along with her to a number of these workplaces as a kid. I know that my sister, brother and I all loved running around the theatres of Utica College and Syracuse University while mom taught, directed, rehearse. We all have fond memories of her banging out her master's thesis on a tired and rusty Smith Corona on the second floor of the Utica house while a small hill of cigarette butts smoked in that old, gold leaf ashtray.

We remember sifting through the membership premiums at Channel 17 and answering the many nasty crank calls coming through on the phone lines. Not everyone believes in public television.

We also remember meeting mom's high school students at Turner Carroll and loving that they loved her as much as we did.

And I am especially proud (as Dad, Gitta and Brendo are) of Mom's work in the Winning Beginnings campaign (hope all my titles are accurate there) and the New York State early learning initiatives that she has been a part of. I'm also glad to know her retirement party will happen at a place where she has many treasured friends.

Congratulations, Momala! I hope the post-retirement years bring relaxation, exotic travels, and more trips to Chicago. Charlie anxiously awaits your visits.

Lots of love!

No comments: